Summer is here and you know what that means!? BBQs with family, friends, and pets!

This is the perfect time to sit back, relax and crack open a cold one. But you should have some responsibility when it comes to cooking and what food you can and can’t give to your pets.

While you are sitting back and eating that perfectly grilled burger, you should keep in mind that some of these treats aren’t good for pets. Simple things like onions or guacamole can be dangerous for your pets.

 

Foods Your Pets Should Avoid

Hot Dogs

Food Dogs Should Not Eat Hot Dogs

 

While these aren’t the healthiest food for us, they are even worse for pets. Hot dogs are filled with salts and preservatives, excessive amounts can lead to diarrhea and indigestion. If you do decide to feed your pet a hot dog, do so in moderation and make sure to cut it into small pieces, to avoid your pet choking.

Snack Foods

Snack Food
 
 

Chips and Pretzels are also full of salt, which can lead to excessive thirst and urination. Who wants a dog peeing everywhere?! You should exercise caution when it comes to feeding your pets snack foods, as if your dog gets too many snacks this can lead to sodium ion poisoning, this can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, fevers and even death.

Bones

Ribs & Wings Pet Safety


The leftover remains from ribs, wings, steak or chicken can be dangerous in the mouth of your dog. Bones can splinter easily and from this can cause puncture wounds in your dog's mouth, stomach or digestive tract. It is best to let your guests know where they can dispose of their food for your pet’s safety.

Fruits & Desserts

Fruits & Desserts Pet Safety

 

Fruits, in general, are high in sugar and can lead to blood glucose issues, however, you should be watching for grapes and raisins. These can lead to serious kidney issues and even death when consumed by dogs. Desserts that include chocolate or Xylitol are no-nos for dogs and are very fatal.

Choking Hazards

Pet Safety BBQ Food For Pets

 

Many BBQ foods are choking hazards. Anything that is larger than bite size can get lodged into your pet’s airway, so be sure to keep an eye out for food that is left out.